Den Chief Training
is a meeting of Den Chiefs and prospective Den Chiefs on a council, district or pack basis. It is planned and operated by council or district trainers or adult leaders who are familiar with Cub Scouting.
Den Leaders are also encouraged to attend with their Den Chiefs, if already assigned, to begin learning how to work together effectively.
A Den Chief is a Boy Scout, Venturer or Sea Scout assisting a Cub Scout den.
But the story is far more important than those words suggest as the Den Chief:
• Serves as a Scouting role model for the Cub Scouts in the den, as well as the entire pack;
• Promotes Scouting in general and the local troop in particular;
• Encourages the transition of Webelos Scouts into Boy Scouting;
• Holds a leadership position in the troop or crew, thus fulfilling an advancement requirement in the unit.
In addition, a trained Den Chief:
• Assists the den leader with planning and conducting den meetings;
• Understands the Cub Scouting program and the differences between Cub Scouts and other Scouting programs;
• Understands the den leader's duties and confidently helps lead portions of the den meeting program;
• Knows a variety of resources for age-appropriate activities for Cub Scouts in the den;
• Brings a repertoire of activities that Cub Scouts enjoy.
This training is designed to build on each of these ideas using a framework that will allow the new Den Chief, or perhaps the experienced Den Chief looking for new ideas, to have fun and learn the role.
Adult leaders need to make sure the role is seen as important and necessary. In agreeing to accept a Den Chief’s assistance, they ensure the Den Chief has meaningful opportunities to support the den and assist with activities, to the best of the Den Chief’s ability. In this way, the den receives the many benefits of having a Den Chief while the Den Chief has opportunities to learn and grow as a leader and Scout. Cubmasters request Den Chief help from Scoutmasters, Crew Advisors or Ship Skippers. These adults need to acknowledge the importance of Den Chiefs before the whole troop, crew or ship and make sure all members understand that the Den Chief holds a leadership position of responsibility.