Spring is the Best Time to
INVITE NEW BOYS TO CUB SCOUTING
| || |
A few simple steps can make all the difference for a boy and his family!
Cub Round Up Action Plan
- Meet with Teachers for any grade where the den needs recruiting attention
- Ask them about great parents that potentially could be Den Leaders
- Build your list of potential Tiger and other Den Leaders as needed
- Select one adult member of the Pack to serve as the Tiger “Coach” or Mentor
- This person will help the new Tiger Parents get organized and off to a great start. This also allows your pack time to get to know the parents and select the right person for Tiger Den Leader
- Get all your Pack’s fun summer activities (including camps) into a “Summer Calendar”
- Organize a FUN recruiting event (KISMIF = Keep It Simple, Make It Fun)
- Invite all the Kindergarteners, First Graders and their families
- Send Letters, Flyers, Use Business Cards, Invitations, and MAKE CALLS to Families in your School, Talk it up!
The Round Up Meeting (60 minutes MAX)
- Plan the meeting well:
- Before the Meeting (30 min. before meeting)
- Make sure families can find you – Put up easy to see signs
- Have Applications and other joining materials and Pack info ready for new families
- Set up your meeting space
- Pre- Opening or Gathering Activity (20 min. before meeting)
- Welcome families as they arrive & make sure everyone signs in with contact info for follow up
- Have a Game that anyone can join at any time – i.e. Balloon Volley Ball
- Have displays of Pack activities for families to see
- Opening & Welcome (5 min.)
- Teach the Cub Scout Sign and Salute - Pledge of Allegiance – Fun song, etc. MAKE IT FUN AND ENERGETIC!
- Let everyone know what is going to happen
- Activity for Boys (plan for 30 min.)
- Send boys off with Den Leaders to have FUN!!!
- Parent Talk (max 30 min.)
- Cover the basics – DON’T OVER SELL
- SHARE A CALENDAR: Parents want to know When, Where, How Much $, and what they need to do.
- Spend some time on the Why of Cub Scouting and how it benefits the Boy and Family
- Den Organization (15 min.)
- Invite Boys back and break up into Den Groups
- Den Leaders help families finish filling out applications, collect apps with fees and schedule next Den meeting
- Closing (5 min.)
- Celebrate the New Families and Cub Scouts
- Have a small ceremony to welcome the new Cubs and their families to the Pack
- Keep it brief
- Clean Up
- Everyone can help
- FEEL GREAT knowing that you’ve done a great job and that your Cubs and families can look forward to a fantastic adventure in Scouting!